Monday, November 17, 2014

Final Book Club Post

When finishing Princes: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil, I had many thoughts and feelings. The last chapters so many things happened. I was disappointed to see Kareem's true colors, when he wanted to have a second wife. I feel this turn of events signifies the theme that all deep down all Saudi Men have the same beliefs regarding patriarchy.  I was proud when Sultana got up and escaped for the country with her children and fooled Kareem. Throughout the story Sultana's feistiness increased and decreased but it was always present. Unfortunately, I felt that during some parts of her story she fell into the casualties of being a princess and forgot about her original goals and beliefs.
While reading the end of the book, I can't help but feel that understand to both Sultana and her friends and Kareem and his thoughts. Sultana and her friends were using the war with Iraq, Kuwait and America as a way to advance the women's place in society. I can see why they would use this vulnerable time to take action. However I can see why Kareem is upset because the country is in chaos.
In all I felt I learned a lot of Saudi culture and religion. I think a lot of the issues that are present in the nation are due to religion fundamentalism. Saudi people take the role of the Koran to literal and apply in in the wrong places. The extreme religious practice and memorization of the Koran in my eyes is a form of brainwashing Saudi's people.

2 comments:

  1. I was also disappointed and shocked to learn that Kareem wanted to wed another woman for the sake of having more children. It shows that most Saudi men think the same and want their wives such for the sole purpose to giving them children, particularly a son. I think it was very brave of Sultana to stand up for herself and leave with the children. She showed strength and determination that she would not be like all the other women in Saudi Arabia and succumb to her husband's wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we can all agree that we did not see that coming when Kareem shared that he wanted to marry another woman. But then again, things did seem to be going too smooth for Sultana, so naturally something had to happen. Sultana is a woman that the women of Saudi Arabia should aspire to be like because she is confident and will do anything she can to better herself and her children.

    ReplyDelete